- Faculty Members did considerable research in reputed universities of UK, USA, Canada and Australia.
- Introduced teaching of Computational Physics as a core subject from the year 1995 and a computer lab was also established.
- The Spectroscopy Lab is still operational, though it has ceased to exist in many universities of the country.
- The curriculum is revised periodically to maintain the desired standard commensurate with NET and GATE examinations. It has been further revised as per current UGC guidelines (2001-2002)
- In recent years, few students have attended summer trainin programme conducted by Plasma Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad; Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC) Kolkata etc.
- Some of the Alumni are occupying faculty and scientist’s position in leading universities/research institutions in India as well as abroad like; Delhi Univ., Bose Institute, B.H.U., BARC, Institute of Meteorology Pune etc.
- The faculty memebers of the department have successfully completed almost ten major research projects funded by DST, CSIR, and UGC.
- Presently department is having one major research project in Material Science (ferroelectrics) funded by DST, New Delhi.
- Faculty members have published more than 200 research papers in Scientific International/National Jpurnals of repute.
- About 40 research scholors have obtained their Ph. D. degree under the supervision of teaching staffs.
- Successful organization of four National Level Conferences in Solid State Physics/Materials.
- The department has strong research collaboration with IIT Kharagpur, Calcutta University, Bose Institute Kolkatta, Jamia Milia, New Delhi.
SPECIAL PROGRAMMES CONDUCTED IN DEPARTMENT:
- Scientific Terminology workshop organised by Govt of India.
- I.I.T KHARAGPUR, West Bengal
- Bose Institute Kolkata
- I.I.T Madras,Mumbai,RoorkieI.I.T KHARAGPUR, West Bengal